My Superbug Pit

For those who are just as screwed up as I.
Wood
Captain
Captain

My Superbug Pit

Post by Wood » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:50 pm

Thought I would share the progress on my pit. I used the advise of using the fold outs and blowing them to 400 % which worked great. Taking my time but enjoying the process..
I know the LH and RH panels are reversed in the pictures.

More to come with the progress..

As promised with the progress.. Having a lot of fun building it. found that the pit section is much smaller then my F16 pit. Working on the avionics panels now and will have more pics for you as the progress continues..

Questions? Does anyone know where there is a good sectional reference to the ejection seat?

More progress.
Started working on the avionics panels so far all ready to drill holes for switched and then paint in text and other area's. As for the seat and just a couple of references. It's starting to look at something. Still a work in progress.
Anyways more pics..

Started placing laying out the panels to get a good placement..

A little update on the pit.. a way to go still but it getting there.

Here are some updated Pic's
Just did the fuselage this weekend. Few more things to tie up and get on and it should be good to go.
First pic is of a friend flying it.

Started connecting the switches a month ago. Using the X-keys Matrix board. Did a sloppy job on the busses so need to make a couple of bread boards for a more organized and easy interface.
Both left and right fuselage is piano hinged at the front for easy access.
Enjoy

Regarding the glareshied. It is made out of 5/16 plywood G1S and where it bends I ran a couple of 1/8 dado's to 1/8" deep. Then I soaked the plywood to bend around from and back forms cut from 5/8 partical board. Once it was set I coated the inside with fill set and covered the whole thing on the outside with vinyle cloth.
Not sure where I'm going to go with that because I had projection with my F16 pit and I know that it was at least 8 years ago but I did not find it that good.

Couple of more pics guys. Sorry about the poor pics but there from my Iphone. Anyways, My 27" samsung poched it last week so I thought well heres a opportunity to work on the pit until I get it back.
I'm really not a big fan of ATI so I've stuck with Nividia for my cards. Keeping my GTX260 and picking up a GT640 I thought I'd test it out. As Tripod has done I tore apart the 3 8" VGA Monitors I ordered and began to install them into the pit. I had three monitors LDDI, RDDI which you see here and the CDDI which I mistakenly ripped the ribbon on so need to get another one.
As it stands now I am able to support 5 monitors until I get another card which will give me another three more monitors which will give me my three 27" main display.
The only thing I would change would be to purchase the 8 " screens as both VGA and HDMI if possible.

Next is to continue to hook up the remainder of the switches and get them working and now thanks to tripod and his work on the LVARs its possible.

There are a lot more pics as a new interface board with the addition of Tripod's super script. Now that using VR for all of my flying it is incredible that because the pit was designed off of the drawings If i reach for a switch in the VR cockpit I'll actually crab the switch I'm reaching for.

Anybody wanting to build a pit. Please feel free to ask any for help.
Capt. Mark "Wood" Killen
Air Wing Commander (CAG)

Vibe
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Re: My Superbug Pit

Post by Vibe » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:03 pm

Outstanding. What are the finished dimensions? In Feet.

Wood
Captain
Captain

Post by Wood » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:19 pm

Muller wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:03 pm
Outstanding. What are the finished dimensions? In Feet.
About 6.5' long by 2.5' in the front tapered to 3' in the back end
Capt. Mark "Wood" Killen
Air Wing Commander (CAG)

Vibe
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by Vibe » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:00 pm

Maybe in 4 years when we move into another house with more room. That is very cool!

Norcat
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Norcat » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:44 pm

Wood, that looks awesome! I love it. I have told my wife ( ok I asked I actually asked and did so in a begging manner) next house I get a Hangar room. Haha. Got to Play Challenger pilot today but many I’d kill for a stick. Great job on the Pit.

Stache
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by Stache » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:53 pm

Impressive!!